Sunday, November 14, 2010

Christmas Tree Decorations

Fruit Inspired Christmas Tree



One of my favorite blogs, "Young House of Love", had a great idea for Christmas tree decorations (see link below). They used dried fruit as a feature ornament on their already bright and cheerful Christmas tree. I fell in love with this idea and wanted to give it a try.

Here is my experience creating my Fruit Inspired Christmas Tree.

http://www.younghouselove.com/2009/12/tis-the-season-part-two/

The first thing I did was slice lemons, limes, and oranges into 1/4" slices.




Then I preheated my oven to 250 F. I placed the sliced fruit on a cookie sheet and baked for 2-2.5 hours. Make sure to check on the fruit regularly because it can burn quickly.


"Young House of Love" mentioned that the lemons and limes are very difficult to dry properly. I found this to be the case as well, and burnt mine... :(


Once the fruit is dried, store in a air tight container and let it cool for a couple hours. Then insert metal ornament hooks through the dried fruit.




Now the fun part - decorate and enjoy your fruit inspired Christmas tree!










If you havent done it already, you should check out the Young House of Love website. They have great ideas and awesome DIY projects.




2 comments:

  1. Adorable Megan!! I'm so impressed you have a tree up already...although the only thing holding me back is waiting for Christmas trees to be trucked in, can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks aweesomeeeee!!! Me and my mom just looked at it and we both totally love it. great job girl :)

    ReplyDelete